Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Reflection week 2

Thursday, I handed in my first critical response. To be frankly, it doesn't make me feel better. I spend too much time in writing and a lot of new words that I doesn't familiar. I ask some classmates in the next day, and they also face similar problem with me. These problems are quite popular, we find that the article is difficult to comprehend therefore you need to put much energy to understand it. Next Wednesday is middle course exam, while there is limited time for me to practice a new one. I believe that everyone must care this exam.

Fortunately, Sara and my well friend help me to solve some writing problems. They make me to understand how to write the structure and which words can be used in your essay. After some practice I find that I obviously understand something how to write it. The critical responds is belong to a kind of essay. While it not just argues some topic, it is examine that whether the writer has the issue of logic, evidence, tone and possible bias. Here is a sample structure which is easy for you to understand. First of all is the introduction. You should describe the background information and premise the author’s main idea and then is your thesis statement. Next, in the first body paragraph you should paraphrasing the author’s first argument and give your counter argument as well. In my opinion, these like your topic sentence. Then you need to analyze the bias, logic, evidence, tone and language. You can separate these in different paragraph. The second paragraph is same as above except that do not repeat the bias, tone and language. Finally, in the conclusion is necessary to restate the argument and give your final thought.

To read one article is easy, while two is totally different. Next week when we finish the exam, Sara will teach us how to compare and contrast two critical responds.

1 comment:

  1. Hi mate. I also have similar feeling like you guys that witting is more complicated than any essay i have done before. That is because it requires a deeper standing of article and evaluate each argument quickly. The witting test next week will be a first big challenge for us but I think it is not hard because we only respond one article rather than 2 in final test on week 5. Anyway, good luck for exam

    ReplyDelete